timetables tarifs practical info my nmbs corporate partners
travelling in Europe Freight
The SNCB The SNCB Group
language switch and homepage
English Français Deutsch Nederlands Home
Useful tips > Lost property
Buy on-line
How much for
your journey?
printable version
Lost property

You’ve forgotten something on the train or in a station?

Use the on line form on this site to report your loss. Your answers on the questionnaire will help us to trace your lost property. Please describe the item and any possible contents as accurately as possible and state which station you would like to pick it up from.

Answer the question below and we’ll redirect you to the appropriate form:

Have you received a letter with a reference number from SNCB to notify you that your lost property has been found?

  • YES (You can only download the documents in French or Dutch.)
  • NO (You can only download the documents in French or Dutch.)

You can also come to the station ticket counter where an employee will fill in the questionnaire with you.

What happens then?

After you've filled in the questionnaire, searching will begin immediately:

  • If your property is found: you will be notified that it is waiting to be collected at the station you specified (on form R197). You will have to pay a fixed fee of 3,80 EUR* when you go to pick it up.
  • If your property doesn’t turn up within 6 months of your declaration of loss, we will notify you that it cannot be found and is no longer being looked for.

* Price valid from 1st February 2009

What happens to found property which isn’t claimed?

Items which have been found and which are not claimed in 2 months are sent to the central depot at Brussels-Midi and held there for 6 months.
After this period, they are sent to the “Administration des Domaines” of the Ministry of Finance, where all lost property is sold to the public.

Some exceptions:

  • Your personal details are given on your lost item. In this case our staff will contact you and you can come and pick it up straight away.
  • If we find your identity card or your driving licence, we'll send those documents to the issuing authority, which will notify you.

Other info
  • If you’re living abroad, you can also fill in an R197. At the time your property is found, our staff will contact you to sort out the practical arrangements and the mailing costs. Identity cards or passports will be sent to your embassy or consulate.
  • If you find something on the train or in a station, please take it to the train or station personnel as quickly as possible.

printable version
Contact us | Legal Information